Tools to Protect Yourself
Security Technology for Consumers
Having the right tools on your computer will go a long way towards helping you to protect your personal and financial information.
Every computer you own should have:
- A personal firewall that is not only installed but turned on at all times.
- An up-to-date operating system. The best way to ensure your operating system is current is to turn on automatic updates.
- Antivirus software. After installing your antivirus software, be sure to run and update it regularly. Perform a complete system scan at least weekly.
- Anti-spyware software. After installing your anti-spyware software, be sure to run and update it regularly.
- An updated and current browser.
- Up-to-date versions of all other software on your system.
- Strong passwords on all critical Internet applications that are changed at least every 90 days.