December 2011 SMiShing/Vishing Alert
Customers and non-customers are receiving fraudulent text messages and phone calls, disguised as alerts, requesting credit and/or debit card information. The text and phone messages advise the recipients to call and reactivate their card. See the examples below:
- "Fifth Third Bank alert. Debit card locked. Call XXX XXX XXXX to unlock it."
- "FifthThirdB MJVA alert 119471.Please call (XXX)XXXXXXX"
- "Fifth Third B. Message. Your card has been locked. Call XXX-XXX.XXXX to unlock it"
What should you do if you receive a suspicious text or phone message?
- Do not respond.
- If you are unsure of its authenticity, call a phone number you trust such as the one on your most recent statement or the back of your credit/debit card, NOT the one in the text or phone message, to verify the company actually sent it and to inquire about why they need your information.
- If it is a text message that appears to be from Fifth Third Bank, you can forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org to help track the phishers and shut down the fraudulent sites or disconnect fraudulent phone numbers.
- Delete the message from your mobile device and/or voicemail box.
- If you responded to the message and provided information, contact Fifth Third Bank Customer Service immediately at 1-800-676-5869.
Please note: Fifth Third does not contact customers via email, phone, or text message to request or verify personal or company information, including account numbers, passwords, personal identification numbers (PINs), Social Security numbers, or Tax ID numbers for security or any other purposes.
Customers who supplied any information should call a Fifth Third Customer Service Professional at 1-800-676-5869.
Tips to help protect you:
Education is your best defense - know what to look for and what to do. To find out more about how to protect yourself from fraud, visit the Fifth Third Bank Privacy & Security Center at www.53.com/Security.
If you need assistance or discover any suspicious online sites, emails, text messages or other fraudulent activity involving your account, please call a Fifth Third Customer Service Professional at 1-800-676-5869. You may also contact us securely via our website 24 hours a day, seven days a week.