February 2011 Phishing, Vishing, and SMiShing Alert
Fraudulent emails (phishing), phone calls (vishing), and text messages (SMiShing) are being sent to customers to obtain account and other personal information.
Customers are receiving emails indicating there is irregular activity on their credit/debit card account and that the account has been locked up. They are provided with a link to click to go to the Fifth Third website to unlock the account. This link will not take the customer to the real Fifth Third web site, but to a spoofed site that will request card and other personal information. For example:
Customers are receiving calls from phone number 773-379-3152. The caller leaves a message asking the customer to call 305-428-2069. When the customer returns a call to the number provided they are asked to provide card information.
Customers are receiving fraudulent text messages asking for credit/debit card and other personal information. For example:
- Call at 1-626-923-9700! Fifth Third Alert!
- Call at 1-626-923-9700! Fifth Thrird Alert! (Note the spelling error in this one.)
- Fifth Third Account Issues. Please Call 3105987340
- New message from Fifth Third. Call 305 428 2069
What should you do if you receive a suspicious email, phone message or text message?
- Do not respond.
- If you are unsure of its authenticity, call a phone number you trust such as the one on your most recent statement, NOT the one in the email, phone message or text message, to verify the company actually sent it and to inquire about why they need your information.
- If it is an email or text message that appears to be from Fifth Third Bank, you can forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org to help track the phishers and shut down the fraudulent sites or disconnect fraudulent phone numbers.
- Delete the message from your Inbox or mobile device.
- If you responded to the message and provided information, contact Fifth Third Bank Customer Service immediately at 1-800-676-5869.
Please note: Fifth Third does not contact customers via email, phone, or text message to request or verify personal or company information, including account numbers, passwords, personal identification numbers (PINs), Social Security numbers, or Tax ID numbers for security or any other purposes.
Customers who supplied any information should call a Fifth Third Customer Service Professional at 1-800-676-5869.
Tips to help protect you:
Education is your best defense - know what to look for and what to do. To find out more about how to protect yourself from fraud, visit the Fifth Third Bank Privacy & Security Center at www.53.com/Security.
In order to protect yourself from malicious software (malware) on your computer, maintain and run anti-virus, firewall, and browser software on your computer. Also, make sure your application software (such as iTunes, RealPlayer, etc.) is up to date, and review your Internet and email software's security settings.
If you need assistance or discover any suspicious online sites, emails, or other fraudulent activity involving your account, please call a Fifth Third Customer Service Professional at 1-800-676-5869. They are available to serve you Monday through Friday 8 AM–9 PM ET and Saturday through Sunday 8AM–5 PM ET. You may also contact us securely via our website 24 hours a day, seven days a week.