Certificates of DepositCall Today 1-800-972-3030
Certificates of Deposit (CDs) are an excellent tool for managing your money when you are able to set aside funds for a period of time. With a CD, you typically receive higher interest rates than many other savings products and enjoy the security of FDIC Insurance. Fifth Third offers CDs with flexible terms and the option to choose from standard, promotional, 529, and IRA CDs–some with a minimum investment of just $500.
What are the benefits of CDs?
- CDs typically pay higher interest rates than many other savings products1 View Rates
- Continuous compounding means interest earned today earns interest tomorrow2
- Interest can be credited to the CD or to a Fifth Third checking account or savings account2,3
- Most accounts are FDIC insured up to the maximum amount permitted by law. There is no charge to open a CD
- A Fifth Third CD can be used as collateral for a Fifth Third loan4
Fifth Third CD Options
|Types||Minimum to Open||Interest Rates||Why Choose This Option|
|Promotional CD||$5,000||View Rates||Looking for flexible terms with attractive rates|
|Standard CD 7-89 Days CD||$5,000||View Rates||Minimum investment of just $500, terms as short as 90 days|
|90 Days-84 Months CD||$500|
|529 CD*||$500||View Rates||Tax-free* savings for future education expenses|
*Offered by the Ohio Tuition Trust Authority
Certificates of Deposit do not allow for additional deposits and withdrawals. Penalty for early withdrawal is based on the term of the CD.
|CD Term||Penalty for Early Withdrawal - Standard||Minimum Deposit to Open|
|7 Days to 89 Days||1/2 stated interest for the remaining term, 7 days interest or all interest earned, whichever is greater||$5,000|
|90 Days to 364 Days||1/2 stated interest for the remaining term, or 3 months interest whichever is greater||$500|
|365 Days to 84 Months||1/2 stated interest for the remaining term, or 6 months interest whichever is greater||$500|
|CD Term||Penalty for Early Withdrawal - Promotional||Minimum Deposit to Open|
|6-11 Months||1/2 stated interest for the remaining term, or 3 months interest whichever is greater||$5,000|
|12-83 Months||1/2 stated interest for the remaining term, or 6 months interest whichever is greater||$5,000|
If you choose the automatic renewal feature for your Certificate of Deposit, there is a one-day grace period (for terms of less than 32 days) or a ten-day grace period (for terms of 32 days or more) after the maturity date to redeem it without penalty. Interest will not be paid after the maturity date unless the account is renewed. (Renewals not available for 529 CDs.)
If you do not choose the automatic renewal feature for your Certificate of Deposit, interest will not be paid after the maturity date unless the account is renewed.
If you would like additional information or current CD rates, call us toll free at 1-800-972-3030. To open a CD, visit a Fifth Third Banking Center near you.
A savings account where you're rewarded based on your Fifth Third checking relationship.
Earn 1% Cash Rewards on your purchases!
FDIC Deposit Insurance. Deposit balances are insured up to the maximum amount permitted by law. The standard insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, for each deposit insurance ownership category. Please visit www.fdic.gov for more information about FDIC insurance coverage.
- Current interest rates and annual percentage yields are available at all Fifth Third Banking Centers. The interest rate will remain the same until the maturity date of the CD**. The annual percentage yield assumes interest remains on deposit until maturity. A withdrawal of interest will reduce earnings. Interest begins to accrue on the business day of deposit. Interest will be calculated using the daily balance method. This method applies a periodic rate to the balance in the account each day.
- For CDs issued in an amount less than $100,000, 529 Plan CDs and IRA CDs (regardless of issue amount), interest is compounded continuously. For CDs issued in an amount of $100,000 or more and with a term greater than one month, interest is compounded and credited monthly if "Capitalized" is selected as the interest payment method. For CDs with a term of one month or less, the simple interest method is used, interest is not compounded and interest is paid at maturity. For CD terms not ending in a complete monthly period, simple interest will be paid for the last period.
- Depending upon the account term and IRA federal guidelines, interest may be credited to the CD, credited to a Fifth Third checking or savings account, or received in the form of a check. If the interest payment method is by "Transfer", "Check" or "Capitalized", interest may be credited monthly (with a principal balance of $5,000 or more), quarterly, semi-annually, annually or at maturity (for CDs with a term of one year or less). Interest will not be paid after the maturity date unless the account is renewed. If the CD is closed before accrued interest is credited, interest will not be paid.
- All loans are subject to credit review and approval.
*Earnings on withdrawals not used for qualified higher education expenses may be subject to federal income tax and a 10% federal tax penalty. Tax benefits vary depending on state residency. Fifth Third does not provide tax advice. Please consult your tax advisor.
**For variable rate CDs, the interest rate and annual percentage yield may change.