Fifth Third Bank Employees Provide 770,000 Meals to Fight Hunger;
Fifth Third Day Marked by Fundraising, Food Collections
Cincinnati – Fifth Third Bancorp today announced that its 20,000 employees celebrated Fifth Third Day by providing more than 770,000 meals to fight hunger throughout its 12-state footprint. This marked the third year that all of the Company's affiliates joined together to fight against hunger. More than 550,000 meals were provided in 2013; more than 340,000 in 2012.
Fifth Third Day is celebrated annually on May 3, 5/3 on the calendar. For more than 20 years, the Bank has used its holiday to recognize the contribution of its employees, thank its valued customers and support communities where it operates.
"We have always celebrated the third of May as Fifth Third Day. It's a great way for our employees to stretch out beyond their normal job responsibilities and work together to benefit their local communities," said Kevin T. Kabat, vice chairman and CEO of Fifth Third Bancorp. "We appreciate that there are real needs—like warm meals, foodstuffs and personal care items—that individuals and families have. In our commitment to improve our communities, it's our privilege on this day to do a small part to help to improve lives."
Each of Fifth Third's affiliates identified needs in their local communities and designed their holiday celebrations:
- Fifth Third Bank (Cincinnati) partnered with the FreeStore FoodBank to assemble Power Packs distributed through schools to ensure at risk children have something to eat on weekends.
- Fifth Third Bank (Georgia) supported the Golden Harvest Food Bank, the Atlanta Community Food Bank and the Atlanta Union Mission through employee service and "Strike Out Hunger" events in partnership with the Augusta GreenJackets, the Kennesaw State University Athletic Association and the Gwinnett Braves.
- Fifth Third Bank (Northwestern Ohio) employees hosted a Fifth Third Day peanut butter and jelly assembly line, during which they will assembled sandwiches for Food For Thought.
- Employees in Southern Indiana conducted a food drive to benefit the Tri-State Food Bank, as well as supported them through an employee recognition fundraising sale.
- St. Louis employees provided a meal for residents of Covenant House, which shelters and empowers homeless, runaway and at-risk youth.
Fifth Third Bancorp is a diversified financial services company headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Company has $130 billion in assets and operates 17 affiliates with 1,311 full-service Banking Centers, including 104 Bank Mart® locations, most open seven days a week, inside select grocery stores and 2,614 ATMs in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Georgia and North Carolina. Fifth Third operates four main businesses: Commercial Banking, Branch Banking, Consumer Lending, and Investment Advisors. Fifth Third also has a 26% interest in Vantiv Holding, LLC. Fifth Third is among the largest money managers in the Midwest and, as of March 31, 2014, had $281 billion in assets under care, of which it managed $26 billion for individuals, corporations and not-for-profit organizations. Investor information and press releases can be viewed at www.53.com. Fifth Third's common stock is traded on the NASDAQ® Global Select Market under the symbol "FITB." Fifth Third Bank was established in 1858. Member FDIC. The curious bank is a registered service mark of Fifth Third Bancorp."