Fifth Third Opens First Green Banking Center in North Carolina; Wilkinson Branch is Company's 2nd Green Facility Nationwide
Charlotte, NC – Fifth Third today formally announces the opening of its Wilkinson Banking Center located at 2752 Ashley Road in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Wilkinson Banking Center is Fifth Third's first green banking center in its North Carolina market and its second facility in its 12-state footprint. The Company opened its first green location in Orlando, FL, in May of this year.
The Wilkinson facility was designed to use less energy and water than standard buildings and incorporates a number of environmentally-advanced features that lessen its impact on the environment. The facility will pursue Silver recognition under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards set by the U.S. Green Building Council.
"The Wilkinson Banking Center, our second green facility, provided our Company with additional insight into designing, building and operating green banking centers," said William J. Moran, Fifth Third Bancorp’s senior vice president and head of Corporate Facilities. "These experiences are helping us determine our approach to future construction projects."
Planning for this facility began with choosing a location that was accessible and convenient. With easy access to three bus lines (Route 5, 30, and 235), stores, restaurants, and other services, the Wilkinson Banking Center helps create a more walker-friendly, enjoyable, and healthier neighborhood that enables customers to combine trips, save gasoline, and help the environment.
Other environmentally advanced features of this building and its construction methods include:
- Increased ventilation and more energy-efficient equipment will improve air quality, provide greater thermal comfort, and reduce energy use by 29 percent.
- Water efficient bathroom and kitchen features will reduce indoor water consumption by 30 percent while drought-tolerant and native landscaping should avoid the need for a permanent irrigation system once the landscaping is established.
- Much of the rain that falls on the property will flow into on-site retention ponds, be absorbed by the ground, and reduce the facility’s impact on the sewer system and the local and regional environment.
- Reflective roof shingles and concrete will reflect rather than absorb heat, meaning the building, parking lot, and surrounding area will be cooler.
- Twenty-eight percent of the dollar value of building materials and products were sourced and manufactured within 500 miles, thereby supporting the local and regional economy and reducing transportation-related greenhouse gas emissions.
- Eighty six percent of construction-related waste was diverted or recycled to minimize the amount of waste sent to a landfill.
- Renewable energy credits were purchased that are equivalent to 100% of the facility’s expected energy use.
The Wilkinson Banking Center project was managed by CB Richard Ellis and designed by ms consultants, inc. The general contractor was Marand Builders.
Francisco Alvarado, CEO of Marand Builders, said "Marand Builders is honored to have been selected as the General Contractor for Fifth Third Bank’s first project in North Carolina to pursue LEED Silver recognition."
The opening of greener banking centers is one component of a larger, Company-wide effort to increase Fifth Third’s environmental performance. More information about Fifth Third's environmental sustainability efforts can be found in our 2010 Corporate Social Responsibility Report at www.53.com/csrreport.
Fifth Third Bancorp (Nasdaq: FITB) is a diversified financial services company headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Company has $110 billion in assets and operates 15 affiliates with 1,316 full-service Banking Centers, including 103 Bank Mart® locations open seven days a week inside select grocery stores and 2,444 ATMs in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Georgia and North Carolina. Fifth Third operates four main businesses: Commercial Banking, Branch Banking, Consumer Lending, and Investment Advisors. Fifth Third also has a 49% interest in Vantiv, LLC, formerly Fifth Third Processing Solutions, LLC. Fifth Third is among the largest money managers in the Midwest and, as of March 31, 2011, had $274 billion in assets under care, of which it managed $26 billion for individuals, corporations and not-for-profit organizations. Investor information and press releases can be viewed at www.53.com. Fifth Third's common stock is traded on the NASDAQ® National Global Select Market under the symbol "FITB." Fifth Third Bank. Member FDIC.