Privacy & Security
How we protect you
From using the latest encryption technology to offering state‑of‑the‑art identity alerts, we offer multiple layers of identity and fraud protection. Fifth Third Bank respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it with our privacy policies.
Learn more about:
- The ways we protect your banking and personal information every minute of every day
- Our anti-money laundering policies to combat terrorist financing
- Website security on 53.com
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) (PDF)
- Click here to learn more
Identity theft and fraud can not only hurt your bank account, it can also rob you of your peace of mind. However, there are steps you can take to protect yourself:
- First, visit our Identity Theft Education page to understand how identity theft works.
- Stay aware of scams and breaches in the news.
- Download our Identity Protection Checklist for tips you can start using today.
- Protect your business with our Business Account Security Checklist.
- Monitor your account with Fifth Third Identity Alert® solutions.
Committed to Data Security
Banking online is the norm these days. And for that reason, we need to be overly vigilant when it comes to your personal information and providing the best protection possible. Our online banking security tools and processes include:
- Encryption – Fifth Third uses the highest standards of encryption available, including the use of Transport Layer Security (TLS) technology, which prevents the unauthorized viewing of your information during or after your banking sessions.
- Automatic Time Out – If you are logged into Fifth Third Online Banking and fifteen minutes pass with no activity, your session will automatically time out and you will need to log back in.
- Enhanced Authentication – Our online services require that you authenticate your identity using your user ID along with your personal identification number (PIN) or Internet Banking password. To prevent fraudulent login, we have the technology in place that tracks the risk characteristics of your login session. Depending upon the risk, you may be asked to login from a trusted device or answer security questions.
Committed to Privacy
Fifth Third Bank respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it with our privacy policies. Our commitment also includes:
- Notifying impacted customers of a data breach, where personally identifiable information (PII) was exposed, in a timely manner.
- Obtaining user data through lawful and transparent means, with consent where required, and using it only for the stated purpose. Refer to the above policy documents for details.
- Clearly identifying the information we collect, use, share and retain. Refer to the above policy documents for details.
- Requiring third parties with whom we share data to comply with Fifth Third's policies.
Current threats and trends
Don’t fall for phish bait
Has something phishy arrived in your inbox? Phishing emails are a common way fraudsters try to get unsuspecting recipients to share personal and financial information.
Avoid the bait. Learn how to spot phishing:
- Download our infographic so you know how to identify a suspicious email.
- Watch the many ways phishing works and how to protect your information.
Did you know?
Every 2 seconds there’s a new identity fraud victim.1